Analytics

Monday, January 24, 2011

Beauty Blahs

I have never been the kind of girl to put much effort into her looks.  I shower and brush my teeth most days and I brush my hair when it starts to look scraggly.  I think my attitude toward beauty comes from my disdain for the fact that men don’t have to have beauty routines.  I know, times, they are a-changing, but most (straight)men put very little effort into the way they present themselves to the world.  So I figure, in the name of equality and all that jazz, I should adopt a similar attitude.



If you think about it, what women have to do to be considered attractive is pretty nutty.  We shave our legs (and other areas as well), we wear colorful goop on our faces and nails, we strap our feet into outrageous torture devices, we have eating disorders and exercise disorders, we order salads on first dates, we tan, we dye, we cut ourselves open and rearrange our body parts and we do it all in the name of beauty.  A staple of stand-up comedy and sitcoms is how much men love all women, like really love them, in the disgusting and perverted way that men do.  If this is the case, then why do we try so hard?  It is obvious that women are the fairer sex and that men should do more to make themselves attractive to us.
I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen a lonely woman who is lonely only because she is plain (codeword for ugly, but I refuse to put down our sisters like that).  She doesn’t fit the standard beauty mold.  As many times as I’ve seen this, I have seen more unattractive men out with cute girls and beautiful women.  How is this possible?!  Why do men get to put in so little effort and still reap all the rewards?  Why do women let men dictate the dynamics of modern relationships?  Ok, ok, I’ll get off my feminist rant for now.  I do love men after all, and the fact that they drive us women crazy probably doesn’t help our resolve.
Though I have never been the kind of girl to put much effort in her looks, I got to thinking about the kind of girls that do.  I know that there has to be some reason why intelligent and sensible women would want to do such bizarre behavior on a regular basis.  And then it hit me.  Maybe being beautiful isn’t just to attract men.  After all, we’ve been evolving for millennia now and women are actually considered to be human beings these days.  Maybe, some women want to be beautiful for themselves, to make themselves feel better.  If this is the case, then perhaps I’ll give this beauty thing a try.  My experimental foray into the world of beauty will consist of my performing my regular mundane tasks (which I normally do sans make-up) all dolled up.  Vacuuming the floor, doing the dishes, grocery shopping, and yes, blogging.  Who knows?  If I start to feel pretty, maybe others will think I’m pretty too.
While I perform my tests, here is an article on beauty rituals that I will probably never incorporate into my regular routine but may enlighten you to some new treatments for your beauty woes. (click on the picture to be taken to the article)


Listen Sammi, they say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and that it’s only skin deep.  So what you need to do is take an x-ray to yourself and figure out what you are really made of.  I’m guessing that a little make-up wouldn’t hurt your image, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment